Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Replay on Relay

First of all, I have to confess that having the Longo genetics ensures that we never have a dull moment. We are the kind of people that sing and dance like no one is watching…and the scary part is it is all natural!

We had a STUPEDNOUS time at Relay for Life on April, 20th. Now, I won’t lie…it is a lot of hard work and since this was my first year as a team captain, there were a few minor set backs.

But in true Longo fashion, we have the ability to take a total cluster and turn it into something magnificent!

Take our campsite for example. I had no idea that we were confined to a 10x10 square. So imagine our surprise when the wingman brought his tent and (one again…in true Longo fashion) it spilled over and infected everything around it! :o)

If only we could bottle the essence of Longo, there would be no need for Prozac! And for the record, marriage does not cure the Longo crazy genes. Even though my last name has changed, once a Longo…always a Longo. And those who come into the family via marriage will experience a genetic mutation that will inevitable suck them into the inner sanctum. You can run, but you can not hide! ;o) Whoaaaaaaaa……Longo!

After a little architectural make-over at our campsite, we ended up with something pretty darn spectacular…and we took first prize for the Best Campsite for the event. Not bad for our first year.

We managed to raise close to $2000 for the American Cancer Society, but the true meaning of the evening occurred when momisan walked the Survivor Gauntlet and received her medal...I would not have missed that moment for the world!

As you can imagine..the wingman and I got pretty weepy. We shed a lot of tears that night – tears of joy. I think both of us would agree that it has not been an easy road. And as I stated at the beginning of this blogging journey, if you are strong enough to embrace it…Cancer will bestow an insurmountable basket of blessings at your feet.

While I would have preferred not to have had this experience, I am grateful for all the memories and priceless moments I (and the wingman) were privileged to share with momisan and pop. While I was compiling everything for my archive, I was amazed at where we have been and how far we have come – I have so many wonderful memories and conversations that I will cherish for the rest of my life. And if I ever forget, I have the immortal words and photos of The ChemoSabe Chronicles to remind me of how blessed this family was the year Cancer came calling yet again.

Rather than take this blog down, I have decided to leave it as a virtual monument to all those who are fighting Cancer. Each and every one of you has an unwavering strength and hopeful spirit that inspires others…and I wish you peace, love and good health as you continue your journey.

It seemed only fitting to end this blog on a high note and I can not think of a better way than to share our experiences from the relay.


Click Here to View Our 2007 RFL Video!



(be sure to have your speakers on...but not too loud)

Thank you to all those who have kept this family in our prayers!

Blessings to you all…

ChemoSabe

No comments: