Sunday, December 31, 2006

Taking the Stage

My mom’s doctor wanted to give her some time to recover and get her strength back before he discussed the treatment option.

So on the day we were scheduled to take her home, we sat down to discuss the findings.My mom’s doctor started the conversation with “I was surprised with what I found.” Even though the lymph nodes were clear, the cancer had metastasized to the bowel. A finding he did not expect to see, but diagnosed as Stage 4 endometrial uterine sarcoma.

Not what we were praying and hoping for, but what are you going to do? His course of treatment was a sandwich approach. Once she recovered enough from surgery, we would commence with chemo, radiation and another chemo.

Now even though my mom is a spunky, vibrant woman for her years, chemo is not for sissies!
We were familiar with radiation, but chemo was a whole new frontier and required certain considerations. It really does a number on one’s system.
Now, I am sure that most people would have questioned my mom’s decision to put herself through chemo. But the woman has a lot of years ahead and at least another grandchild in her future.
So once again, the family will close ranks and face this challenge like we always do – together …win, lose or draw.

No comments: