Saturday, December 30, 2006

Don’t Make Me Come Up There

Remember when you were little and your mom would utter those words when you were doing something that you were not supposed to be doing?

Well, about day 4 of recovery, my dad received a phone call and he said that my mom sounded upset and agitated, but would not elaborate as to why. I told him I would be in the area of the hospital and would check in on her.

Now let me state that the majority of people that we dealt with at the hospital went above and beyond in the care and compassion department. But like everything in life, you do have a few that are marginal.

Now that I am in my 30’s, I have a lot more tolerance and patience than when I was younger, except when I see that someone is mistreating my mom. I am sure my brother’s would concur – don’t be ugly to our mom if you don’t want to reap the result. (But I imagine most people are like that)

Perhaps it’s because my mom was in pain, and could not really do for herself, but after she explained what happened – let’s just say that after a brief, passionate (yet polite) conversation with the floor supervisor, it did not take them long to move her.

Helpful Hint: It’s okay to ask questions and be an advocate for patient care. If, after a reasonable time the situation has not been addressed or if you still have some concerns, don’t hesitate to request a change. Also, be sure to stay with them until the move is complete. Some may take offense to your request – better safe than sorry!

No comments: