Saturday, December 30, 2006

I Just Knew

Even though we were in a holding pattern until the tests from the oncologists came back, I knew in my heart that it was cancer. By no means, was I thinking worse case scenario, but have you ever felt like you just knew something?

Later on in the week, I accompanied my mom and dad to the oncologists consultation, where he confirmed that we were facing cancer, yet once again. (Flash back to 1998 – my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and she kicked ass back then, so my faith was strong that she could, and would, do it again.)

The oncologist recommened surgery and the rest of the treatment would depend on what he found and if the cancer had spread. But considering endometrial cancer is common in woman over 60, we felt some reassurance that we could beat it.

A lot of people have asked me how I felt when my mom was diagnosed with cancer. This may sound odd to some, but I was more upset when she was diagnosed with breast cancer back in 1998. I am not saying that I was not sad and scared, but I think back in 1998, I had so many things that I thought I had not yet done that I wanted to make sure my mom was around to see – does that make sense?

This new battle would see a daughter who was more mature, married, settled and at peace with the relationship I had with my mom. Everyone knows that mother/daughter relationships can be complicated at times, I think it’s because daughters grow up to be the caregivers and foundation for their own families, so when you are trying to find your way to becoming an adult, you want to do it your way even if it means butting heads and not always seeing eye to eye.

Now I look at my mom and see an amazing woman who has the strength and faith of a thousand angels.

But little did I know how much I had changed since the last time my mom faced cancer.

No comments: