Saturday, December 30, 2006

Houston, We Have Lift-Off

It’s September 14th and surgery day. My husband and I drove with my parents to Medical City in Dallas, where we met up with my brothers (Andy and Billy). Anyone who knows my family can attest to the fact that we have a unique sense of humor that really helps us get through those difficult moments – and this one was no different.

We spent the morning getting my mom checked in and prepped for surgery. And she was looking a little nervous when they were taking her vitals so I leaned over and whispered, “Last chance to give us another little sibling or at least make the front page of the Enquirer.” I told her I could se the headlines now, “Baby Hubert Blesses Senior Woman in The Colony.) I thought she was going to bust a gut.

For the next hour or two, we took turns visiting my mom in the holding area. Up to that point I was doing well and I vowed not to cry in front of her. But anyone who has a mom knows that when they start spurting out their momisms sprinkled with words of love and wisdom – all bets are off. While some things are not meant to be shared, but rather kept as a special gift …I will tell you that I turned into a complete pile of goo, complete with dripping snot and mascara – Thanks Mom! :)

No comments: